In a country where almost 23% of the workers suffer from insomnia, it has become increasingly important to treat this problem. Sleep deprivation is an important aspect that needs to be treated immediately. It not only makes you inefficient but also costs your company millions of dollars. Insomnia is categorically defined as a sleeping disorder in which people have trouble going to sleep or even sleeping for a long time. They have a fitful sleep and often wake up really early in the morning, unable to sleep. But however, they do feel drowsy time and gain. Some people rely on sleeping aids like ambien to get through their day without interruption. But there are also certain treatments and lifestyle changes that might solve this problem entirely.
‘Sleep is that golden chain that binds health and our bodies together’
There are certain home treatments available that involve some lifestyle changes which you need to make in order to get a considerable amount of sleep and get rid of sleeping disorder. These home treatments have helped my case a lot. They are:
- You need to start avoiding nicotine, caffeine and alcohol altogether. Do not consume or use them late in the evening at all. In case you consume pills like ambien, it might interact with the stimulants you consume and lead to unforeseen circumstances.
- If you are on some kind of medication other than ambien, check to see whether they are responsible for your sleep deprivation. Consult a doctor and find out if it is causing sleep deprivation and whether there is any alternative medication to that or not.
- In the late hours, avoid all sorts of technology like your phone, TV and computer.
- If possible, try to make a sleep routine. Like for example, before I go to sleep, I take a warm shower and listen to some soothing music.
- Try to incorporate exercise but do not do it before you go to bed.
- Manage your weight, if you are overweight.
- Try and keep your bedroom cool, dark and quite.
Taking prescribed sleeping pills by doctors is one of the easiest ways to combat your sleep disorder problem. However, it is advisable that you use it for a short time period as using them over long period of time can affect the thinking ability of people. This especially applies to sleeping pills like ambien. There are some side effects that are caused by such medicines. Also, they stop working after a certain time, once your body gets used to it. These medicines are
- Ambien and Imovane which contain zolpidem and zopiclone respectively and are effectively used for short term insomnia.
- Orexin receptors are used to block chemicals in your brain that are a cause for sleep disturbances.
- Benzodiazepines that help you to fall sleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
- Antidepressants that help calm you down so that you can have a sound sleep.
Among all these Ambien is the most preferred medicine because of its sheer efficacy. There are some other alternative treatments available as well that help cure sleeping disorders. They include Valerian, an herbal medicine; and melatonin supplements. There are also cognitive and behavioural treatments available like stimulus control therapy, etc. that help cure this problem.
Insomnia is a common sleeping disorder faced by many and can happen to anyone. It is imperative that you consult a doctor immediately if you suffer from this problem or exhibit any symptoms of this condition. There are a number of treatments available that would certainly help your situation.