Treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED) is generally associated with taking Viagra, Cialis, or Levitra, but there are other methods that can also help with ED like penile injection therapy, for instance. Granted, not many men would be taken up by the idea of sticking a needle directly into the penis and then overcoming ED. As easy as it is to dismiss this idea quickly, let’s take a step back and consider the benefits of this therapy. Penile injection therapy is an FDA-approved treatment and understanding it better may help ease the thought of using this method as a valid way to overcome ED.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) affects millions of men worldwide and there are multiple treatments available for this problem. While ED medications do work for most, other treatments are also available and most of them do not produce any side effects. Talking openly with the healthcare provider and exploring options to improve sexual health can be beneficial. Likewise, it is recommended to be open-minded about the ED treatment technique known as penile injection therapy, which could be suitable for a number of reasons. More on this ED treatment are given below.
How does the penile injection therapy work?
Penile injection therapy is one that consistently works and produces results, and it is not as bad as it sounds. The effectiveness rating of this technique is about 80%. This alternative to oral medications is highly effective when the dosage is right and also administered correctly.
The injection containing the appropriate dosage of the medication is injected into the penile tissue in order to stimulate the erection, which happens within five to fifteen minutes. The medication that is used for this therapy usually has several compounds that help dilate the blood vessels in the penis. Unlike ED medications that cause vasodilation in different parts of the body, this method is more successful as it is localized treatment. The penile injection itself has just a tiny needle, the dosage administered is small, and the pin-prick is barely noticeable. Each dose administration is done by alternating between the left and right sides of the penis.
What are the benefits of penile injection therapy?
Here’s why men with ED can benefit from the penile injection therapy:
- This method works even if oral medications do not.
- The side effects experienced are comparatively lesser than taking oral drugs.
- Those who have had some form of surgery, with some nerve damage in the process, are far more likely to have positive results with the penile injection than with the oral pills.
- The localized delivery of the medication makes it very effective.
- Depending on the severity and combination of sexual health problems, the medication can be concocted according to the individual prior to administration.
- Localized effects also mean that taking any other medications does not interfere with the ED medication.
What are the probable cons of penile injection therapy?
Some of the potential down sides to using penile injection therapy could be:
- Bruising in the area of the injection
- The risk of priapism or erection lasting for more than four hours
- The risk of a blood clot forming under the skin of the injection area
- Cannot be used by someone taking blood thinner medications
Penile injection therapy may not be for everyone, but it is still worthwhile to discuss options with the doctor before fixing on the suitable ED treatment.